For 28 days during the summer of 2010, I lived and volunteered in the local communities of Karanga and Moshi, in northern Tanzania.

In Swahili, the word 'safari' means 'travel'. And while the word does bring to mind images of Jeeps filled with khaki-clad tourists, it also means 'journey'. This is my personal safari... free of khaki and binoculars (for the most part).

Karibu, asante!


Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Teacher.

One week and two days.

In one week and two days, I leave on a journey towards a lifelong dream.  If you would have talked to me a month ago, I would have felt slightly less inclined to tell you how real it all suddenly feels.  It does.  Since my last post, I've been busy, making preparations.  For the last month, I have been listening to Swahili language audiobooks pretty much nonstop.  Poa kichizi kama ndizi!  (If you can translate that, you will giggle for a while, and I will be significantly impressed with you.)  A few weeks ago, I visited a travel clinic and left with five shots in my arms, a bottle of malaria pills, and a stern lecture about not drinking the local tap water for my trouble (an arm full of yellow fever vaccine HURTS, man).  Last week I got my passport back from the Tanzanian Mission to the United Nations, with my visa stamp in it.  Last Friday, I proceeded to buy out most of the camping and travel sections of the Waconia Target store.  And today, one week and two days before I leave, I received my program placement and job duties from my Program Director. 

I will be teaching English to kindergartners in a private day school in Moshi.

Squeeeeeee!

This is exactly what I was hoping for.  Exactly.  I was prepared to be flexible, but the fact that I'll be working with kids again is almost a relief, in a way.  I feel doubly prepared now.  This is what I DID for the two years I was in AmeriCorps, working with young English language-learners on their reading, writing, and early math skills.  I know the name, the role, and the face of "teacher."  I am familiar with both the rewards and the tribulations of teaching, although I am still learning and can never realistically hope to fully understand either.  I love the look on the face of a kid who has made a discovery in his or her learning.  I live for that look.  I can't wait to see that look again, this time at the Kilimahewa School, in a country on the other side of the world.    

Seriously, it couldn't have played out any more perfectly.  And I can definitely count on the fact that these kids... whom I will meet in one week and six days... will teach me as much as I can hope to teach them. 


1 comment:

  1. Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I am so excited for you! Please keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete