For 28 days during the summer of 2010, I lived and volunteered in the local communities of Karanga and Moshi, in northern Tanzania.

In Swahili, the word 'safari' means 'travel'. And while the word does bring to mind images of Jeeps filled with khaki-clad tourists, it also means 'journey'. This is my personal safari... free of khaki and binoculars (for the most part).

Karibu, asante!


Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sunday, August 8.

At 6:00 a.m., I woke up to the sounds of pigs being slaughtered. Welcome to Farmer's Day in Moshi. Celebrating farmers. Killing goats and pigs for nom-noms. I saw a man walking down the road in front of CCS Karanga, dragging a sheep behind him on a rope tether. Where they were heading, I have only a vague idea, but that sheep did NOT want to go.

Sad. And a little gross.

12:15 p.m.

Went to CCS driver and rafiki (friend) Dani's church this morning, with Mama Joan, Katie and Melanie. After several years of avoiding them, the first time I set foot inside a church is in Karanga, Tanzania. Go figure.

I don't completely know where I stand on the existence or nonexistance of a God, and I may not believe in organized religion--but after this morning, I know I believe in music, and in people.

10:45 p.m.

Also, met the new volunteers today. A mother-daughter duo from Scotland, a girl from Kentucky, and a woman from New Hampshire. They are nice, but I am still heartbroken over the loss of my friends from Calgary, Staten Island, and Washington state.

Drove with Joan to the airport tonight. It really is the beginning of the end. I have 6 more days in Tanzania. That is it, and that is all.

I'm dreading Saturday. I'm dreading that this week is going to be one long, steady goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment