For 28 days during the summer of 2010, I lived and volunteered in the local communities of Karanga and Moshi, in northern Tanzania.

In Swahili, the word 'safari' means 'travel'. And while the word does bring to mind images of Jeeps filled with khaki-clad tourists, it also means 'journey'. This is my personal safari... free of khaki and binoculars (for the most part).

Karibu, asante!


Monday, August 9, 2010

Tuesday, July 27

The butterflies are out today.

It's a little after noon and they are soaking up the sunshine, I think. I am, too. They are the small butter-yellow variety that seems to be everywhere here; one is resting on my toe as I write this. I have seen dozens of fantastically colorful butterflies here! Blue and iridescent, brown and white polka-dots, fragile black and red. Little vivid spots of color by the dusty road.

I am feeling more and more comfortable in front of the class at Kiwodea. Today we learned some English clothing words, reviewed body parts and colors in English, and read some stories. The kids are so sweet--at least, to the new mzungu teacher... not so much to each other, really. And they seem enthusiastic about what we're doing there. I guess it's not too difficult to impress a three-year-old. Their enthusiasm, plus the hugely helpful presence of my placement veteran volunteer partners, have made this week a little easier than last week. I think I was still adjusting to the differences and just the reality that I was going to be living in Africa for four weeks.

We are going to be doing some maintenance projects for Mama Nancy, using the money earned from the Dessert Night fundraiser. The plan is to hire an electrician to fix the lighting, TV and internet, and paint two classrooms--the leftover funds are going into an account for future microloan distribution! The classrooms will be used as a kind of special education "suite": one room for lessons, and another room for physical therapy for kids with disabilities. All part of Mama Nancy's bigger plan.

Many children here, if they have a physical or mental disability, tend to be ostracized. Or at least, set by the wayside. Many never go to school, and their parents hide them from the rest of society. Many are abandoned or dropped off at orphanages, like Mary at Neema. Mama Nancy wants to give these children a safe place to interact with other children, learn socialization skills and participate in other academic and extracurricular activities.

Mama also wants us to go with her when she interviews women who are applying for the loan money. The fact that she wants us to be that involved with the distribution processes of Kiwodea says a lot about Mama Nancy's trust in her volunteers.

I think Kiwodea was the perfect placement for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment